TONIGHT - PBS NewsHour highlights UCF’s DirectConnect
Tonight at 7 p.m., PBS NewsHour highlights “DirectConnect to UCF” as part of a special 5-part series, "Rethinking College: Closing the Graduation Gap" on WUCF TV.
DirectConnect to UCF is a nationally recognized program that guarantees admission into the University of Central Florida for students graduating from one of the five institutions. The state college partners – Eastern Florida State College, Daytona State College, Lake Sumter State College, Seminole State College, Valencia College – prepared about 70 percent of the more than 10,000 students who transferred to UCF in 2012-2013. Daytona State College has since joined as a fifth state college partner.
The segments in the series include:
- Monday: How the University of Texas at Austin figured out what's keeping their low income students from graduating and built a leadership network that's decreasing the dropout rate. View Video
- Tuesday: How is it that 500 high schools seniors are graduating with an Associate's degree and 3,000 of their peers are enrolled in college courses, in a town on the Mexico border were the odds are against them? View Video
- Wednesday: What happens when a school stops giving out aid for merit and just focuses on need? View Video
- Thursday: Transferring credits between community college and university is a huge problem. See how a community college and the University of Central Florida are fixing it.
- Friday: How did ASU, the largest university in America, restructure to prepare for the future while increasing acceptance and graduation rates for students from all income backgrounds?